Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Corner Mailboxes Are Disappearing

Good Wednesday morning!




I read an article today that says corner mailboxes may disappear soon!  Frankly, they already have in most neighborhoods.

Remember when every neighborhood had them on the corner?  They weren’t on EVERY street, but they were sprinkled throughout here and there.  This made it easy for us to mail our mail every day.

But writing letters is quickly becoming a dying art.

If we put it in our mailbox outside our house, we can raise the little flag to let the postman know we have outgoing mail.  But that also alerts everyone.

It’s just not always safe to leave our mail there.

My mailman does not come till 4 pm or later.  When I was working, there was no one else home to keep an eye out until my husband retired in about 2014.

People just roam around today, and those “raised flags” can cause a lot of concern.  People no longer fear the dread of a federal offense.

I remember coming one day, before I had retired.  It was several years ago.  I had just gotten in, and went into the kitchen to get an ice water. I was looking out the window as I watched a boxy, yellow car pull into the driveway of the house across the street from mine.  The car quickly backed up at a speed not meant for backing up, and they ran right over the top of my mailbox.  It was put in the year before, so I was horrified.

Not only did they run it over, they continued up into my front yard.  They quickly slammed on the brakes, then sped back onto the street, and made a getaway as quickly as they could.

My cell phone was not handy at that moment, or I could have caught a picture or video or something.  But, it happened way too fast.

I did used to use the corner mailboxes until I realized they were disappearing, so when I read the article about things disappearing soon, I knew it was true.

If you still have one close by, but it doesn’t get used much; it will soon disappear or be moved to a location that brings it more traffic.

You should still be able to find them in populated locations like shopping malls, bus stops, and grocery stores.

Since the ones close to my home have already disappeared, I already carried my mail along with me to my grocery store to use the box located there.  That was when I was working.

I do use my mailbox outside my house now that I am retired. My office faces the mailbox outside of our house, so it’s easy to keep my eye on it.  And phone is always ON MY DESK now.

So every other week, out go my little letters.

My purpose here on this blog is simply to share some tools to make it easier to make cards of your own to send out to your grandchildren, moms, or friends.  I’ve already done the creative work, and made a template for you to use.  I hope you do use them.

Here is the template for one today.  The first one is with me as the example.


On the right is ME, year ago, when my children were still young and living at home.  The picture on the left is me at my second wedding. I was 50 years old, and that's a prom dress I'm wearing.  Yep!



This is a blank template.  Add YOUR pictures!


Here is one without the quote, in case you want to add your own quote or words.

The two below are just some additional artwork that would make cute cards.


This lion is actually a clay creation I made.  I took a picture of it and made it into a tube.


And this a bigger version of the one at the top.  It is a fractal card, and I really enjoy doing fractals for artwork!

If you’d like to take the next step, and need tools to do it; look no further.  Go on!  Just right click, copy, save as, and start your journey today!  Put a smile on faces.  Erase the miles between you.  It’s fun!  And now, it’s so easy.

If you take the challenge, here's my card to pass around, to send out with physical cards, and just to share, share, share!  Help spread the word!  It’s totally free!


For ways to use these graphics, please check the first two weeks of posts.       

I’d appreciate any and all comments, and you can pick up my free coloring book by sending me an email to cjzphone at gmail dot com.  Allow 24 hours for a response.

If you have trouble posting, try several times.  It took me a few times, and others have said that it was hard for them to post.  You can also reach me at my personal email address, which is cjhampton at wideopenwest dot com.  (You might also try right clicking on the comment to see if that brings it up.)

Hope to see you back here on Friday.

Cj at Grannies Print Shop.blogspot.com; designed to help grandparents reach out to their grandchildren, so that closing the miles equals smiles.  Make a connection again, and let your grandkids know you are thinking of them.  If you consider making a physical card, you are remembering how wonderful it used to be to receive REAL MAIL from friends and family.  It’s a dying art, so I hope you’ll help keep the tradition alive!
Also find me on Intagram at cj.hampton.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment